Saturday, July 23, 2011

Pioneer Day

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints celebrates the 24th of July for Pioneer Day. It was the day the first group of Saints entered the Salt Lake Valley. In our neighborhood we had a 5K fun run/walk this morning to kick off the celebration. A few weeks ago I decided I would start “training”. I ran at night or in the morning about 2 miles a day, I ran with the jogging stroller, with Texas, or by myself. It was a fun experience and it was nice to have something to work toward.

Today was the big day, it started at 7:30 this morning and there were over a hundred people there. I had two goals. First to run the whole way. Second to run it in less than 30 minutes. I ran the whole way, but it took me 31 minutes and 9 seconds. I think I was the slowest person who ran the whole way. Oh-well next time I will do better.

We went to a picnic at our church for lunch and then we went to dinner at my parents. They had a band playing music and it was very fun to watch Thing 1 dance, she wanted me to dance with her and it was difficult for me to dance in front of people, but we had fun together. Thing 2 loved throwing rocks through the fences, he loves to pick up rocks and throw them.

We had a fun day and it was nice not to have to make lunch or dinner. Tomorrow we are having church earlier than normal and have our main meeting outside, with lunch after. It seems like an easy weekend for me.

I love pioneer stories and hearing this time of year touches my heart. I’m very grateful for people who came before us and struggled in so many ways.

image

http://hisgracetome.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/holger-leue-mormons-on-horse-carriages-mormon-pioneer-wagon-train-to-utah-near-south-pass-wyoming.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment